Fort Knox

History

Fort Knox is a United States Army installation covering about 109,000 acres in Hardin, Meade and Bullitt Counties. It is the Army Human Resource Center of Excellence, Headquarters Army Accession Command, home of the Patton Museum, and site of the U.S. Bullion Depository. Modern military use of the area began when the War Department established Camp Young at nearby West Point in 1903. In 1918, the first 40,000 acres for Camp Knox, named for General Henry T. Knox, were purchased. The reservation was renamed Fort Knox in 1932.

The original area purchased for Camp Knox included the town of Stithton, which was razed to make room for the camp. Stithton was settled in the nineteenth century and was a stage and later a railroad station on the route between Louisville and Nashville. It was named for the local Stith family. Some residents of Stithton moved a few miles and founded New Stithton in 1918. This site was acquired by the army in 1942. The Stithton Post Office opened in 1874, was renamed Camp Knox in 1925, and Fort Knox in 1932.

U.S. Army Cadet Command

125 6th Avenue
Suite 320
Fort Knox, KY 40121-5719

https://home.army.mil/knox/

Fort Knox Commanding GeneralMaj. Gen. Antonio V. Munera502-624-4249

Garrison Command

Garrison CommanderCol. Lance O’Bryan502-624-2749
Deputy Garrison CommanderJim M. Bradford502-624-5597
Director of Public WorksJason Root502-624-2151
Public AffairsRyan Brus502-624-4704
Environmental Management DivisionDan Musel502-624-6684

To find our more about Fort Knox and the role it plays in the region go to:

missionknox.org